Starting Friday, residents affected by Hurricane Florence can begin applying for help buying food through the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP). Applications will be accepted for eight days. The exact amount of your benefit will depend on household size.
- Live in one of 27 counties: Bladen, Beaufort, Brunswick, Carteret, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Duplin, Harnett, Hoke, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lee, Lenoir, Moore, New Hanover, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Richmond, Robeson, Sampson, Scotland, Wayne, and Wilson.
- Have suffered losses/damages related to Hurricane Florence, such as damage to property, loss of income or food loss.
- Have proof of identity and proof of residency (if available).
- Have income and resources below certain levels.
- Not currently be receiving help buying food through the Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) program. People receiving FNS can also get extra help buying food, but do not need to fill out a D-SNAP application. They can get more information about how to get the extra help here.
NEW HANOVER COUNTY
New Hanover County applications will be accepted in person only at the former Sears store in Independence Mall.
Dates and times are:
- Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Oct. 1, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Oct. 2, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Oct. 3, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Oct. 4, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Oct. 5, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Oct. 6, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Applications for food benefits will be taken at Brunswick Community College’s Odell Williamson Auditorium beginning Friday. The auditorium is located at 150 College Road in Bolivia.
Dates and times are:
- Weekdays 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- No applications will be taken on Sundays.
Pender County Department of Social Services will accept applications on the following dates at the Pender County Agricultural Building, 801 S. Walker St. in Burgaw:
• Friday, Sept. 28, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 29, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Monday, Oct. 1, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 2, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Wednesday, Oct. 3, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 4, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 5, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 6, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.